BlogUnsure of Your Source: We've Got You Covered
Turning Off Smart Quotes in Word
To turn off smart quotes in Microsoft Word:
- From the Tools menu, select AutoCorrect... .
- In the AutoCorrect window, click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
- Uncheck the checkbox next to "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes," and then click OK.
It should also turn them off for you in Entourage (as Entourage uses Word as it’s text editor).
If you receive a document from someone that already has smart quotes in it, it may be easier to search and replace in Word, rather than in the text editor:
- Select the smart character and choose Copy.
- From the Edit menu, select Replace... .
- In the Find and Replace window, in the "Find what:" field, paste the smart character either the ' (single quotation mark) or " (double quotation mark) character. Then enter the flat character in the "Replace with:" field.
- Click Replace All to replace all instances of the smart quote with the equivalent straight quote.